Club Age PolicyYOUTH POLICY FOR ISLAND FITNESS
Island Fitness is a family friendly facility and your children are welcome. Because we care about their safety, and the safety of our other members, we ask that you respect the following guidelines whenever your children accompany you into the club.
All children / young adults under18 must have a parental signature to obtain a membership. As a family guest they must have a parental signature; or if they are between 14 and 17, parental phone authorization.
Ages 14 to 17 years:
Young adults between the ages of 14 and 17 may use the club independently under the following conditions:
- They must be part of a family membership, have an independent student membership or be an occasional paid family guest. Members in this age group may not bring guests.
- They must have completed a Group Equipment Safety Orientation. Orientations are offered by appointment. There is no fee for this Orientation; it is included with every membership.
- Young adult members may not use the steam room until age 16.
- This policy applies to all members in this age group, even if they have been previously using the club under a different policy.
Ages 9 to 13 years:
Children between the ages of 9 and 13 years of age may use parts of the club under the following conditions:
- They must be part of a family membership, have an independent student membership, or be an occasional paid family guest.
- They must have completed a Group Equipment Safety Orientation with a responsible adult member (18 years or older). Orientations are by appointment. There is no fee for this orientation; it is included with every membership. Upon the completion of this Orientation the young adult will be entered into a club database indicating that they have completed the Orientation.
- Children in this age range must be within sight and supervised by a responsible adult member (21 years or older) at all times. They are welcome in the Cardio Area accompanied by an adult, and in the Open Area only if the adult to child ratio is 1:1. They are not allowed anywhere in the club past the Open Area and may not use any of the weight machines.
- Adult classes are not appropriate or allowed for children aged 9-11. 12-year-olds may take appropriate classes while accompanied by a responsible adult member over the age of 18, and with the prior approval of the class instructor. 13-year-olds may attend appropriate classes with instructor approval unaccompanied by a parent or responsible adult.
- Children in this age range may not sit and watch adult classes, and may not be left unattended anywhere in the club, or on the outside benches.
- This policy applies to all young adult and child members, even if they have used the club previously under a different policy.
Ages 6 weeks to 8 years:
It is not safe for children in this age range to use any of the gym equipment, or for them to be in any of the gym equipment areas. They may not sit and watch adult classes, and may not be left unattended anywhere in the club, or on the outside benches. Infants in car seats are not allowed anywhere in the club except in classes specifically designed for infant participation.
For more information, please contact Membership.