Safety and Etiquette Policies
Safety and Etiquette in the Weight Room
- Return weights and other equipment to their designated places immediately after use.
- It's unsafe to leave dumbbells or barbells on the floor. If you must set dumbbells on the floor between sets, criss-cross them or butt them against the wall or bench so they can't roll away.
- Do not wear open-toed shoes or go barefoot in the weights area.
- Perform lifts at least 3 feet back from the mirror so other members have access to the dumbbell racks.
- Be courteous and respectful: do not bump, jostle, or otherwise distract members who are concentrating.
- Do not drop weights on the floor.
- Persons under 14 are not allowed in the weights areas unless accompanied by a trainer.
- All gym equipment is considered communal property.
- Let others alternate sets with you.
- If someone else is using equipment that you have your eye on, feel free to say, "Mind if I work in with you?"
- We ask that you please limit your time on the cardio equipment to 30 minutes during busy times. Please be aware of other members waiting for equipment.
- Please use the spray bottles and paper towels provided to clean off any machine, equipment, or bench after you have used it. Spray the paper towel, not the machine.
- Notify club staff if you see any equipment that is in need of repair.
- The upstairs studios are reserved for those attending classes or accompanied by an Island Fitness trainer.
- For safety reasons, in order to use the TRX or kettlebells, you must have signed permission from an Island Fitness trainer or instructor. Use of TRX and kettlebells is time restricted, and this equipment must be signed out at the front desk before using.
Gym Bags Belong in Lockers
- Unnecessary personal items limit circulation space and are potential hazards. There is not enough space in the club for everyone's personal items.
- Island Fitness is not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Please lock your personal items in a locker and keep the key with you while you work out.
Common Scent Sense
- Strong scents do not belong in the gym.
- In consideration of those with scent allergies, avoid using perfumes and other scented substances when in the club.
- Mobile phone use, for conversation or as an image capturing device, is not allowed in any communal area of the club.
- If you are expecting an important call, set the ringer to vibrate.
- If you receive a call, please take it outside or in the lounge area.
- Only vehicles with currently valid and visibly displayed Island Fitness parking permits may park in the Island Fitness lots during club hours.
- Do not leave your vehicle in the Island Fitness lots except when you are using the club.
- Vehicles left in the Island Fitness parking lot for more than 3 hours may be towed.
Respect Fellow Class Members
- Arrive at class in time to set up equipment. Late arrivals will not be admitted.
- Follow the instructor's routines. Making up your own moves other than instructor suggested modifications distracts other participants.
- Respect other class members' personal space and their view of the mirror.
- Wash hands with soap and water, and use hand sanitizer often.
- When using equipment, wipe it down both BEFORE and AFTER your workout. Island Fitness provides spray bottles and paper towels throughout the gym.
- Please cover any open cuts or sores when using the gym.
- Recover at home: if you have an infection, are sick, or are feeling under the weather, please stay home. You'll recover faster, plus it's simple courtesy to everyone else at the gym.
Help Make the Locker Room a Peaceful Sanctuary
- Conserve water by showering only long enough for sweat removal.
- Remove all your shower supplies and any hair from the drain.
- Share the mirror or hair dryer. Wipe hair off the vanity with a paper towel and discard, not into the towel or on the floor.
- Limit placement of your belongings to your immediate vicinity.
- Close and lock your locker when you leave, and return the key to the Front Desk. If you must leave belongings over night, please rent a locker.
- Please help us conserve and keep costs low. Use no more than one large towel and one sweat towel. If you would like to have an additional towel, please bring one from home.
- After you finish using your towel(s) place them in the laundry urn, not on the floor.
- Please discard your trash in the trash bin.
- Wear shower shoes in the shower.
- Cell phone use, for conversation or as a capturing device, is not permitted in the locker rooms.
- Notify club staff if you see supplies that need replenishing.
- Please be considerate when a massage is in progress and keep conversation low.
- For safety reasons, no one under the age of 16 is permitted to use the steam room.
- Please shower prior to using the steam room.
- Always sit on one of the provided towels.
- Do not bring food, drink or any printed material inside the steam room.
- Shaving or soaping is not permitted in the steam room at any time.
- For safety reasons steam room visits should be limited to 15 minutes.
- We keep the steam rooms as hot as is considered safe. Please do not try and alter the temperature by applying cold water to the sensors. This may result in the room reaching an unsafe temperature and may damage our equipment.
- Do NOT use the steam room if you -
- are under the influence of alcohol, narcotics, or tranquilizers;
- are on medication;
- have high blood pressure or a heart condition; or
- are pregnant.