Alexa Rosenthal shares this recipe for Ital Style Vegetable Stew from a trusted recipe resource: MindBodyGreen.com
This stew is delicious and easy to prepare. Having a bowl in the evening is light enough and easily digested to not interfere with a good night sleep.
Remember giving your body a 12 hour fast- from your last meal of the day to first meal of the day not only supports sleeping more soundly but also enhances overall health. Especially, gut health.
Enjoy and sleep well!
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), thinly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 (15-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups pumpkin, cut into 2-inch cubes
- ½ cup split peas (we prefer yellow peas although any dry peas will work)
- 1 ear of corn, cut lengthwise into 2-inch pieces
- 2 green plantains, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup okra, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 habanero pepper Lime wedges, for garnish
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, torn, for garnish
In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, place the onion, scallions, garlic, and oil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and taking care not to burn the garlic.
Add 1 cup of water and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Add the thyme, bay leaves, coconut milk, broth, pumpkin, and split peas, and cook uncovered over medium-high heat for 8 minutes.
Next, add the corn, plantains, tomatoes, salt, and lemon juice and zest, and cook for 30 minutes.
Add the okra and habanero and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
To serve, spoon the stew into a bowl and garnish with a wedge of lime and fresh cilantro.
The recipe calls for specific vegetables, however, substituting with a different vegetable can certainly work. The vegetable broth does not have to be low sodium as high-quality salt in moderation contains important minerals and electrolytes.
Want some help creating a fresh start for Spring? Island Fitness offers Wellness Coaching both In person and virtually! Contact Alexa Rosenthal to schedule.